Monday, April 23, 2012

Enchilada Chicken

Well,  all of my things (or, all of the things I use plus a lot I don't) are inside the walls of my new apartment. I would say they're about 1/2 organized at this point. We still have a wall full of boxes. So, since I know I haven't been posting much, and I know that I won't be able to show pictures of my new place until at least later this week if not next, I figured I would give you guys a recipe.

I made this up after reading a few suggestions for low-carb chicken meals. It's super simple.



Ingredients:
Chicken Breasts (I use frozen, but you could use raw)
Chili Powder
1/2 can of Enchilada Sauce (I use red, but you could use green if you wanted)
Monterey Jack Cheese

My measurements are not precise when I make this and so I won't attempt to guess what they are on here.

Step 1:
Preheat oven to 375 and place your chicken breasts in a baking dish. I usually cook 4 frozen chicken breasts at a time. If you are using raw chicken breasts, skip to step 2 here, because you don't need to thaw. For those using frozen, stick the chicken into the oven for about 10 minutes. This will get it to thaw a bit so the spice in step 2 will take.

Step 2:
Dust the chicken with chili powder on both sides. If you're cooking from frozen, leave the chicken flipped, rather than returning it to it's original side. I'm never very exacting with this. Just dust some on, it doesn't have to be evenly coated but be generous. Stick the chicken back into the oven for 15 minutes.

Step 3:
The chicken should be completely white on the outside, for both frozen and raw, and the frozen chicken should have let out a bit of water. If you have a lot of water in your dish, I suggest draining it a little, but if there's only a little bit, don't worry too much about it. Shake and open your can of enchilada sauce. Pour  half of the can over your chicken, focusing on coating the chicken and not so much on filling the pan. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes.

Step 4:
Add a slice of Monterey Jack (or whatever other cheese you like) to the top of each piece of chicken. Bake for another 10 minutes. While that's cooking, make your side dish. I sauteed some frozen vegetables with olive oil and garlic powder for this meal.

Step 5:
Remove chicken from the oven and serve! Jon likes to add the extra enchilada sauce from the pan over his chicken.

The resulting foods should be moist and delicious!

I hope this will hold you all over until I have apartment photos to post, and let me know in the comments if you have any questions! (Yes those are our new plates on our new counters!)

No comments:

Post a Comment