Saturday, June 2, 2012

No Prize for you!

I totally failed this week. All goals failed.

I made a batch of flax bread tuesday morning, but didn't eat very much of it. I bought lunch 2 out of the 3 days I worked (I took friday off due to exhausted body rebellion), and I definitely did not exercise. So, complete failure, no prize for me.

I have yet to earn a prize, but I think it's more because I'm disobeying my own rules and giving myself too many tasks. I lack focus, and so it's bringing down my success rate. I'm simultaneously trying to not eat too many carbs (I'm not doing awful, but I'm certainly not succeeding either) and trying to get myself to exercise as well as dealing with just regular life things. So, it's too much and I need to back off somewhere.

So, for this coming week, exercise takes priority. I should pay attention to what I eat and be a bit careful, but it's not the priority of the week.

My goal is to exercise 3 days this week, hopefully MWF. If I can get some in tomorrow (sunday) I get an extra 2 dollars, making the prize for success this week 12 dollars.

-----------------

Now, on different, life related topics!

Work has... gotten worse. I've been reduced to data entry. DATA ENTRY. That's....intern level work. Now, if I were interning, that would be one thing, but I am distinctly NOT. Now, if they want to pay me $20 an hour to do data entry, then ok, but dear god am I unhappy. This is NOT what I signed up for. If I had known, or seen down the road that this is what I would have been doing, I would have taken the other job, because seriously? Not what I want to do, I am above fricking data entry. Admin for an internet start-up is much much closer than this nonsense. Sure, the data entry is vaguely VAGUELY marketing related (It's actually mostly accounting and admin related), but that doesn't make it better. I don't need experience with data entry, I need experience with marketing things and design things. I get those in tiny shreds, and the projects that matter to me get sidelined hardcore. I am upset and unhappy and I can't do anything about it. I have to wait until November to start looking for other work.

In the meantime though, I have purchased a set of classes from e-careers via a super awesome Groupon. The classes will teach me the basics of Web design and e-commerce. So, if I wanted to I can launch my own website and such when I'm done. If I can come up with any really cool possibly viable business constructs that I can hire my friends for, then maybe that is what I will do. At least for a bit.

Another thing that has come up recently in "argh life sucks lets change it" sorts of discussions with Jon, is something that a friend of ours is doing. Moving to Australia or New Zealand for the tourist season, finding gainful employment on a work and holiday visa, taking advantage of the benefits of higher minimum wage and less tax in those countries and earning a lot of money while exploring a new place. Our friend is going to Australia, Jon and I were thinking of going to New Zealand. This wouldn't happen for at least a year or so, because we can't both pay for it right now, and in order to enter NZ on a Work and Holiday visa, we need to show that we have both the minimum required funds to stay (to pay for the trip) and enough money for a ticket out of the country. That comes to about 5,000 NZ dollars each, not counting the original flight down there. I think that it would be a good experience for both of us, and there is a possibility that Jon could just internally transfer down there, so I would be the only one who needs to find a job. We couldn't really go until our lease is up here (next may) so that gives us a year to figure it all out. It might not happen, but it is something we both want to do, and that I think would be really good for both of us, both financially and life-wise.

So, by this time next year, I will have lots of Web design training, and we will hopefully be preparing to move to New Zealand. Now wouldn't THAT be cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment