Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Running

I am not a runner. My body is simply not built to run. My bones are too heavy to have a good relationship with the ground at high velocity.

However, running is a very good way to get aerobic exercise. And I can get the exercise at the level I need most efficiently if I run. It is therefore, perhaps, a necessary torture.

It has been pointed out to me that the best time to exercise is in the morning, before your body has a chance to figure out what's going on and initiate shut down. I have to get up at 5 all this week to take Jon to BART (we've had some...transportation related issues of late), so, I figured I would take the opportunity to trick my body into figuring out running again.

"Again"?

I had to run every day in middle school. It was part of our daily PE program to run for 8 to 12 minutes at the beginning of each PE class. Even on the hottest days of the year, we still did the 8 minutes. Now, I was never fast. I was always at the back. There were only a couple people slower than me. When I graduated 8th grade, my mother told me that she had a discussion with the PE teacher, and that he had said that I had done an amazing job keeping up with it, even though I was just not built to run. If we had a swimming pool, I would have been doing that instead, and pretty much everyone who ever taught me PE knew it. I knew it. I am an evolutionary swimmer (though, being of general northern European decent, I can only guess at where my ancestors needed that skill). So, I have a swimming pool, why am I choosing to run?

The pool we have is small, not open (really) until 8 or 9, and is in the middle of the other half of my apartment complex. That doesn't make it far away, but it does make it public, and therefore deters me from using it. Also, when I come home from work everyday, it's filled with screaming children. No good for the kind of intense aerobic exercise I need. For running, all I have to do is work up the guts to run the whole way around the block and not die of hyperventilation.It doesn't take long, though it may seem like eternal suffering.

I went on my first run this morning. It was...interesting. Aside from the body over heating, ragged/ difficult breathing upon return to the apartment (both quelled by an immediate cold shower), it wasn't too bad. Though, I either need a hardier sports bra or I need to tape my chest down, because there's a lot of force involved and it makes it hard to breathe while running. Any ideas?

The only long term/ day of effects I have experienced are increased tiredness, hunger and a sort of confused "I exercised earlier..." feeling. I say confused because it's not entirely as pleasant as I would prefer, but it's not bad. I imagine the fatigue is mostly because I'm not used to it, and the hunger partly because I still skipped breakfast. I need to figure out a way not to do that... hmm to be contemplated.

Update: I've been sitting at my desk all day. My hip joints are displeased. Unsure if this is related


In terms of last week:

I did exercise 3 times. I did a whole lot of Jackknifes against the Wii Fit Yoga Trainer. I did 40 of them last time. I'm working on making that the main exercise on Wii Fit, along with general yoga stretches and the Advanced Step.

So. Success! Hurray! 10 dollars for me! Thats a grand total of... 10 so far. Wow I'm awesome at this (sarcasm).

Anyway. This week's goals are a little bit late in coming, but:

Run Wednesday and Friday. Wii Fit Thursday and sometime on the weekend. If I manage the run on Friday, I get the 10 bucks, if not, no 10 bucks. Wii Fit is worth an extra 5. So, if I manage all of that I get 15.

Preemptive goals for next week:
Jon goes back to working a little bit later, so it will make it a little tougher to get the run and a shower in, but I think I can still do it.

So run twice. However best fits my sleep, determination and confidence levels. It must happen twice to earn money though, otherwise no success.

Onwards!

5 comments:

  1. Maybe two sports bras? Three??
    I am impressed! I know how much you've always disliked running, so well done you! I'm very proud :)
    As to stiff hip joints, that tends to happen to me too. Try to stretch those out (butterfly is nice, you get to sit down!) after running, should help.
    Eat breakfast, though! After a run, you've earned it! :)
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol about the sports bras. I'm not sure if that would help, but I'll try it.

      Breakfast is hard >.< but I will try.

      Delete
  2. Good job! I despise running, too. I do DDR instead... cardio, but a videogame. Tee hee. Tricking myself into exercising.

    Also, just as a tip: it's always really important to eat both before and after exercising. Eating before kickstarts your metabolism, so you get the most out of your exercise. Eating afterwards also helps so you don't feel sluggish and achy afterwards, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw a recipe for energy bites on pinterest somewhere that might work well for before.

      I would do DDR, but I'm not nearly good at it enough to actually get as far as aerobic exercise. Plus there are lots of opportunities to stop. That's kind of a problem I have with wii fit. I can stop whenever I want.

      Delete
  3. I've never been much of a runner, a lot like you. The ground has a tendency of tearing my ankles up and the long string of injuries has left me very cautious with movements above the speed of walking; however, I did take it up around the beginning of Lent this year and, with a lot of prep, it's been rewarding. I highly recommend giving yourself proper stretch time before and after and grabbing a small something the eat about 30 minutes before if you can... maybe when you drive the boy to work? (Small like an apple or granola bar.) Also, if you get the chance try to run off the concrete, softer surfaces are a lot easier on the joints than just hitting the curb. I hope you enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete