Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sample Society - July 2012

About the middle of June I signed up for a new service from beautybar.com called Sample Society. It costs $15 a month, and they send you large sample sizes of luxury beauty products. I decided to sign up for it because while I don't often wear a lot of makeup or bother with the massive beauty routine, I do find it interesting and at least a somewhat worthwhile endeavor.

Most of my problems with beauty products are found with the pricing of the quality goods. Some moisturizers can be over $200! I think that's ridiculous. But, at the same time, many products cost more around $40 or $50 dollars, and while still out of my budget, they cost that much because they are high quality. I would never usually even try these products, partly because I dislike hanging out in beauty stores, and partly because I know that if I went into a store to try, they'd want me to buy. Sample Society provides me a way to try the quality products, and gives me a discount if I decide to buy. For $15 dollars a month I get samples of products that cost up to $250 for a full size bottle. I would never even touch that stuff otherwise. It's a great deal!

So, I have decided that as I get these each month, I will write a blog entry about what I got. I have a feeling that a lot of my readers (ie my friends) won't be particularly interested in these posts, so I'm going to post them quietly, without the usual fanfare. I will tag all of these posts "Sample Society" so that those of you who do want to read them can find them easily. In the end, I have chosen that these belong on this blog because this is my life blog and this is something that I find fun. It's also a little bit about taking care of myself, and so it belongs here. I am aware that beauty products/ makeup are not necessary to be beautiful and I do not feel that I particularly need them. I do, however, find them entertaining and interesting. I consider beauty products a bit of a hobby interest, and this is the best way I have found to truly investigate them.

                                                                                                                                                                          


Sample Society - July 2012

This is my first box. I was impressed at the care taken with the packaging. It makes me happy that this is how they have it set up. Totally worth $15, I feel like a princess!

In the box:

Borghese Tono Body Cream -


Have you ever tried a quality body lotion? The kind that goes on nearly dry? This is like that. Thick and creamy, yet extremely light on the skin and dry to the touch once applied. It also has a very nice, light, unobtrusive smell. Herby and fresh, I would call it. I have only used it one night so far, but the description claims it is also skin-tone smoothing and firming. I'll have to let you know on that one, since I have no idea what either of those things really means. 


Jouer Cosmetics Luminizing Moisture Tint SPF 20 -


This stuff is amazing. I'm wearing it right now and I can't even tell. I've used moisture tints before (I prefer them over hardcore foundations) and this one is extremely nice. It smooths out skin tone and complexion as well as texture. The luminescence helps a lot to keep my face looking bright. I especially like how I could use it as a concealer as well as an all over the face makeup. Plus, it's got SPF, which is extra awesome. Only problem is that on well balanced moisturized skin like mine, it comes out a bit oily shiny, but that's easily resolved with a mineral powder (I use bare essentials, left over from a real makeup kit I got years ago). Other than that, it's really light, comfortable, and serves it's purpose extremely well. And I can see my freckles through it. Win. It also lasts! Hardly ever before have I had a makeup actually stay on all day. Admittedly I think I've gotten a bit better about touching my face and such, but regardless this stuff stays. Another plus! I'm seriously contemplating buying this. We'll see how I feel when I run out of it. 

Sisley-Paris Hydra Globa Intense Anti-Aging Hydration -

This is the stuff that costs $250 for a regular sized bottle. I know right?? It's made in France, so I suppose that may be part of it. This is one of those things I'm going to have to get back to you about. It's a morning and night face and neck moisturizer/ skin firming agent. It's supposed to get rid of wrinkles and such like. Now, being 22 (almost 23) I don't really have wrinkles, but generally speaking, the recommendation is that you start with this stuff as early as possible. So, I figured what the heck, maybe I'll start looking 17. Ha, that'd be silly. Anyway, so I'm going to use this until I run out (will probably be about a month) and I'll let you know if I see any difference. 

vbeauté Eye Never Nourishing Repair Eye Creme -

I don't have very much experience in eye cream (read: none whatsoever), but when I got a facial in March (I was on vacation) the woman who did it said that I should look into it before I technically needed it. So, when I saw that I got some eye cream I was sort of intrigued. Again, this is one of those things that a couple uses isn't going to reveal how much it helps, but I have found that it goes on nicely and does do some eye brightening on its own. Maybe my eye-skin just needed some love. We'll see I guess.

Vincent Longo Vincent Longo Duo Lip Pencil -

So, this is essentially the full sized product. That would be super super awesome.... if I wore lip anything and ALSO if it were in a color that works for me. I don't wear lip anything (most of the time) and the color is much too purple. It's sort of a bright burgundy on one side and white on the other. I don't know what you'd use a white lip pencil for. Then again, I hardly understand the purpose of a lip pencil anyway. I wish this were eyeliner. Much more useful. 




So there's what I got. The only item I am seriously considering purchase of is the Luminizing Moisture Tint, and at a starting price of $38 and with my $15 discount it would only be $23, which really isn't bad, all things considered. I'm excited for next month's box!

No comments:

Post a Comment