Monday, July 9, 2012

This Week's Challenge!

I know I am posting a bit early this week, but I have discovered a few things and I would really like to keep the motivation wagon moving. The more I write here, the more accountable I am when the wheels stop.

Motivation Status

Firstly, I did weigh myself on Friday. The results were that I have in fact gained back again all of what I lost in January and February, plus interest. I knew that would be the case. I was dismayed, but not surprised.

Age 18, 145ish soaking wet
I also discovered that one of the best motivators for me is going to be looking at pictures of myself from years ago. The only problem here being is that I have never actually felt skinny. I don't actually look particularly skinny in any of these pictures, but I know now that I was actually right around what I should weigh. I just wasn't fit, so it sort of doesn't look it. 
Clearly I have been the weight I want to be before in my adult life. Sure, I was still a bit chubby here and there, but I have quite literally ALWAYS had a belly. Ever since 8th grade, when I was shocked into body image consciousness. However, I think that with the right effort, I can lose the weight and the belly, I just need to do the right exercise.






From October 2006(?) at 135ish

I'm in the back, in the magenta. May 2007. My hips are tiny!






Exercise Status

Last week I went on 2 walks. 1 on Sunday, and another on Friday. I also went swimming on Wednesday. So I succeeded in exercising 3 times last week. 10 dollars for me (20 in all, I'm getting better!) Total I walked 3 and a half miles.


I absolutely love walking out by the lake. It's calm, quiet and usually populated with families, other runners/ walkers or people out fishing. Everyone pretty much keeps to themselves, and there aren't any shadowy hideaways for would-be bad guys. I feel safe there when going by myself.

Zombies. Run! has been a true godsend. It's the entire reason I have the motivation to go out and walk. My options in the evening/ afternoon have become: sit around, be lazy and play on the computer, or the xbox for 4 hours, or, go out and play Zombies for a while and also achieve your exercise. Zombies, being two birds with one stone, often wins. This is a good thing.

I hope to start seeing results soon, but I think I have a lot of muscle to build first. I have already noticed that walking is easier. It used to be quite difficult for me to walk long distances at any sort of reasonable pace, but now I can keep up with Jon. I've also learned that most girl pants and girl shoes are simply not meant to be moved in, just by comparison of my speed depending on what I'm wearing. I have a way easier time going speedily if I'm wearing running shorts and shoes, than if I'm in skinny jeans and Toms. 

In terms of the belly I referenced earlier, the plan at the moment is to focus on the walking until results start happening. I will worry about ab exercise at another point.

Food Status

Not much has changed since last week (though we did go grocery shopping on Friday), but it's only Monday. I have however, begun a detox.

I saw a thing on pinterest that was a recipe for super detox juice recommended by Jillian Michaels. I'm not following the recipe exactly, but I did get the jist. It's just water really. But simultaneously, it's more than water. I have a 32 ounce Gatorade bottle filled with the juice of a quarter lemon and cold water, with a tea bag of Detox tea, with dandelion leaf. I actually really like the tea. It's a very subtle flavor, but it's sweet, spicy and interesting with the lemon. The original recipe also calls for a bit of cranberry juice, but since I don't need the juicy temptation sitting around the house, I decided to leave it out. I drink 2 of these bottles a day, getting 64 ounces of water. Supposedly after a week it's supposed to have kicked out 5 pounds of water weight. I doubt this, but it is a great way to get lots of water and it does seem to be helping me somehow. It's been keeping me from getting quite as hungry at odd times. Actually, over the past couple days that I've been doing this, I've been finding myself wanting to drink MORE than the 64 ounces. For example, right now, it's 12:30p and I have just about finished my first 32 ounces. I will probably finish the next 32 before I leave work this afternoon, and then I will need more water for my walk this evening. I will drink ALL the waters!

I'll let you know later this week (or next) about how this holds up and how the rest of the eating goes.

This Week's Challenge

This week, I will exercise 3 times again, probably mostly by walking. My goal is 6 miles, which means three 45 minute walks. I get 10 bucks if I do this.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad that you like Zombies, Run! It is a fantastic app, and I get what you mean about motivation. I think it is partiularly effective with those who like to read, since it is like listening to a book.

    Hm, I have never done a detox. Is it only water and no food for x amount of days? I kind of want to look into doing a detox.

    Anyways, you can do it, Kiersten! I am right there with ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zombies is funtimes.

      In terms of the detox, God no! Eat too! This is supposed to be done with a balanced diet. There are some detoxes/ cleanses that tell you not to eat, but that's basically starving yourself.

      What I'm drinking is basically a mild diuretic. Dandelion leaf (and cranberry juice) are both natural diuretics, so if I were doing it with pure dandelion leaf tea and the cranberry juice, I imagine I'd be visiting the little girls room a whole lot more. As it is, I'm going about as much as I would imagine from actually drinking a lot of water. The lemon juice helps with electrolytes. Her plan technically says do this for 7 days. Detox teas usually say 2 cups a day for 30 days.

      From some research, one of the possible issues with weight loss has to do with your liver not fuctioning properly because there's a whole lot of gross stuff in it. Detox tea is supposed to help clear all that out. If you ask me, I just think it makes water taste better.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever helps you drink more water is probably a plus! Especially if it's tasty :) I'm stoked that you're having fun with walking, and have found a nice/comfortable place to take walks. I will have to give this Zombies thing a try, maybe next time I'm in Salem I'll take Dani's phone for a walk... I've found that audiobooks/podcasts make things a lot more interesting, I was listening to 'Wait Wait Don't Tell Me' from NPR while running the other day, and I must have looked like a crazy person running down the street cracking up to myself. Plus I learn current events trivia! Fun fun!

    ReplyDelete